Monday, February 11, 2008

Rudy Rudems - Goes To A Birthday Party...

- The day before I wrote this my assignment was to create an original character. They had to have an age, physical description, a personality, hobbies, etc. Mine character is named Ephram McAllister. He's a bum who has a very sad history (that's for another day). He's mean to the neighborhood children so they call him 'Rudy Rudems' which is what I'll refer to him as in the stories most of the time. As for his thought process, it's not like any normal person. He takes notice in things we take for granted like picket fences and bicycles. He treats everything as an adventure and while he speaks like an adult he tends to slip into childish remarks and thoughts because he never went to school.. ..For this assignment we had to put our character into a situation which included a birthday party.. ..

I was making my rounds down 17th street when an unusual bright color caught my eye. Curious, I decided to investigate. I rummaged through my bag of treasures and pulled out my magnifying glass. I was ready to explore. As I neared the shape I was able to see it was a bounce house shaped like a castle. Kids were jumping and screaming inside as well as playing what looked to be like duck duck goose in what yard wasn't consumed by the giant inflatable kingdom.
I got to the sidewalk, magnifying glass in hand and peered through it. Yes, it was as I'd anticipated. One of these kids was having a birthday party today and it was up to me to find out who. But before I could even step one foot on the cleanly kept lawn a brown haired child approached me and asked in a squeaky voice, "Mister? What's your name?"
"None of your business" I told him sternly.
"It's Rudy Rudems isn't it? I see you sleeping down at the park!"
"My name is EPHRAM, not RUDY like you stupid kids so ignorantly believe."
It seemed apparent that this kid wasn't going to leave me alone any time soon so I pulled out one of my famous catch phrases.
"Listen LOSER. Guess what has two thumbs and doesn't care?" He looked at me puzzled and I went in for the kill. I stuck both thumbs up towards my chest proudly, "THIS GUY!"
He was stunned as I'd anticipated. He stood silent. I smirked victoriously and moved past him. My eyes began to dart around the yard for clues. AHA! Bulls-eye. I spotted a banner hanging in front of the door of the house that read 'Happy 9th Birthday Timmy!'. I got out my secret pad and pen and sketched a stunningly accurate picture of the poorly hung banner. Who was Timmy? I had to know..


- I couldn't finish this again because of the time limit. I wasn't pleased with it but will try and make an appointment to go back and revise some of the parts I wish to change.. .. As you can probably tell I'm not to great with the setting description and my dialog is also lacking.. Those should both improve in time..

No comments: